Even during the festivities of the holiday season, music can take any event to the next level. Whether you’re trying to choose the best pop holiday music or traditional Christmas songs, you need to take guests, activities, and setting into consideration to create the perfect playlist. With so many fun songs to choose from, we’ve put together some of the best tunes for every part of your holiday celebrations.
Sophisticated Dinner Parties
If you’re hosting a dinner party for your friends around Christmas and New Year, the main focus of the evening will be delicious food and great conversation. Still, the right playlist can help reinforce the holiday theme, especially as you welcome guests into your home! Choose traditional Christmas songs with a soft jazz feel to avoid overpowering your evening.
Holiday Tip: Smart Home devices can help you keep everything in check at your dinner party — including the music. That means you can enjoy the celebrations alongside your guests instead of having to DJ, cook, and serve at the same time!
- Michael Bublé – It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
- Ella Fitzgerald – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Dean Martin – I’ll Be Home for Christmas
- Andy Williams – Happy Holidays
- Frank Sinatra – Jingle Bells
- Harry Connick Jr. – Sleigh Ride
- Bing Crosby – White Christmas
- Billie Holiday – I’ve Got Love to Keep Me Warm
- Norah Jones – It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
- Etta James – Merry Christmas Baby
Relaxed Family Gatherings
An intimate celebration with several generations of your family deserves a calming Christmas songs playlist. As you snuggle up together in front of the fireplace and share your stories from the year, try playing classic carols and traditional Christmas songs.
Holiday Tip: If you’re celebrating with older relatives who may be hard of hearing, choose instrumental versions of your favorite holiday songs and play them at a low level. This will help keep the conversation flowing and everyone feeling relaxed.
- O Tannenbaum
- Oh Holy Night
- Silent Night
- The First Noel
- Ding Dong Merrily on High
- The Holly and the Ivy
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Good King Wenceslas
- Joy to the World
- In Dulci Jubilo
Holiday Activities with the Kids
No matter whether you’re decorating your home or unwrapping presents on the big day, you can build the holiday excitement with a playlist full of good cheer. Try pop holiday music to create a festive mood in your home from the moment your little ones wake up.
Holiday Tip: Food, drinks, and crafting with the kids can result in more stains around the house. Have your emergency cleaning products somewhere handy, or better yet, make sure your furniture is prepared! Smart Solutions from Southern Motion is a stain-resistant furniture fabric that can help relieve the stress of holiday activities at home.
- Bobby Helms – Jingle Bell Rock
- Bobby Day – Rockin’ Robin
- The Ronettes – Frosty the Snowman
- Stevie Wonder – What Christmas Means to Me
- Gene Autry – Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Slade – Merry Xmas Everybody
- Wizzard – I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
- Pentatonix – Little Drummer Boy
- Jackson 5 – Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
- Elton John – Step into Christmas
Ringing in the New Year
A New Year’s get-together is the perfect time to reflect on what we’re grateful for and what we have planned for the future. Even if you’re having a small celebration with your nearest and dearest, a playlist of pop holiday music can get everyone feeling more excited about the next calendar year.
Holiday Tip: If you struggle to stay awake until midnight, start your playlist in the hour leading up to the countdown to help energize you and your guests!
- Pink – Raise Your Glass
- Rihanna – We Found Love
- Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
- Journey – Don’t Stop Believing
- Europe – Final Countdown
- Ariana Grande – Break Free
- Beyoncé – Countdown
- Katy Perry – Firework
- Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling
- Pitbull – Give Me Everything
The Big Cleanup
The holiday cleanup includes everything from vacuuming up the pines needles, throwing out the wrapping paper, and washing up all the pots and pans from your delicious feast. It’s a lot to do, so why not make the most of the time with a fun playlist?
Upbeat music can help get you motivated, improve your motor coordination, and reduce the fatigue of doing chores. So turn up these tunes and dance your way through the cleaning!
Holiday Tip: Get the whole family involved in the cleanup with a crowd-pleasing music mix. It’s sure to make the chores go quicker and easier. You can even make a competition out of the tasks, do a dance-off, or have a karaoke session as you tidy up the home.
- Whitney Houston – Wanna Dance With Somebody
- Lady Gaga/Ariana Grande – Rain on Me
- Pharrell Williams – Happy
- ABBA – Dancing Queen
- Living on a Prayer – Bon Jovi
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe
- Survivor – Eye of the Tiger
- Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
- Miley Cyrus – Party in the USA
- Queen – I Want to Break Free
Great entertainers play just the right music for any occasion. To discover your entertaining style, take our quiz!